24|01|2011 - 15h30Bad smell from UK biofuels plant
|Ensus opened its Wilton facility in 2009.|
Teesside biofuels firm spends £6m to tackle bad smell coming from the facility.
A biofuels company on Teesside has pledged to spend £6m on ridding its plant of a bad smell which has sparked complaints from residents.
Ensus opened its bioethanol plant at Wilton in 2009. But since March 2010 residents have complained of a brewery-like smell coming from the facility.
Managers have admitted there is a problem and plan to install £6m equipment to ease the situation.
The Environment Agency is now considering the firm's proposals.
Ensus plans to install a series of thermal oxidisers which it says will go some way to eliminating the odour, which is produced when the plant converts wheat into fuel that can then be mixed with petrol.
By-products are then used to produce animal feed and carbon dioxide for the soft drinks industry.
An Environment Agency spokesman said: "Smells from Ensus have been reported to us since March 2010.
"In September 2010, following enforcement action from the agency, Ensus announced it would be spending £6m on regenerative thermal oxidisers to minimise smells.
"Before this can happen, Ensus must apply to the Environment Agency to change its environmental permit.
"We are giving residents the chance to comment and raise any concerns they have, including noise, effect on air quality and odour."
The consultation period will end on 17 February.
- 29|06|2012 - Toda atenção para energia renovável
- 08|09|2011 - Venice turns green
- 07|01|2012 - Brazilian brew
- 22|03|2012 - Consortium looks to develop sustainable aviation biofuel
- 22|03|2012 - From landfill to Lamborghini: the future of biofuels
- 20|03|2012 - Brazil and beyond: inside Birmingham and Nottingham universities' research partnership
- 15|09|2011 - Brazil Expected to Dominate Global Ethanol Market
- 14|09|2011 - BP expands Brazil ethanol operations
- 13|09|2011 - Wisconsinites have mixed views on ethanol
- 12|09|2011 - Not averse to sell minority stake in Brazil: Shree Renuka
- 09|09|2011 - Advanced biofuels a part of making America “number one again”
- 31|08|2011 - International Collaboration Program
- 08|09|2011 - Reduced Brazilian mandate could mean fewer US ethanol imports
- 04|09|2011 - US Ethanol Exports Increased by 300% Last Year
- 02|09|2011 - Cracking cellulose: a step into the biofuels future
- 29|08|2011 - Global sugar surplus in 2011/12 seen 4m tons
- 26|08|2011 - Despite smaller harvest, Brazilian sugar-energy industry remains committed to anhydrous ethanol production
- 25|08|2011 - U.S. ethanol exports to surpass Brazil this year
- 23|08|2011 - Big Corn Gets Bigger
- 16|08|2011 - China to finance biofuel projects in Malaysia
- 15|08|2011 - EU biofuel consumption up 13% in 2010, but growth has slowed
- 12|08|2011 - US government hails billion-tonne sustainable biomass supply
- 11|08|2011 - Ethanol Subsidies Besieged
- 09|08|2011 - Ethanol
- 09|08|2011 - No Eureka Moments in U.S. to Crack Cellulosic Code
- 08|08|2011 - Council to grow elephant grass as biofuel at Fiskerton
- 05|08|2011 - Fungus May Be the Key to Cheaper, More Efficient Biofuel
- 30|07|2011 - Trash-to-fuel company Enerkem raises another $30M
- 25|07|2011 - EU gets tough on dirty biofuel, pledges more action
- 20|07|2011 - Biodiesel maker Renewable Energy Group files for $100M IPO
- 15|07|2011 - EU cushions biodiesel from damning carbon research
- 10|07|2011 - Analysis: Ethanol to edge pigs for corn use, but not quite yet
- 05|07|2011 - EU Commission tightens rules for biofuel use
- 26|06|2011 - Lots of Talk, Too Little Action
- 21|06|2011 - Viewpoint: UK firms wake up to Brazilian opportunities
- 23|05|2011 - Growing Biofuels, and Shrimp
- 19|05|2011 - Analysis: Wood fuel poised to be next global commodity
- 16|05|2011 - How Green is Your Utility? NREL Rates the Top Tem
- 13|05|2011 - Analysis: Bioethanol may win in crunch time for EU biofuels
- 09|05|2011 - Renewables can fuel society, say world climate advisers
- 06|05|2011 - Bio-energy plant plans in Norfolk set for approval
- 04|05|2011 - Senators launch bill easing ethanol incentives
- 28|04|2011 - Green Car Makers Travel Different Roads to Sustainability
- 26|04|2011 - Climate laws don't wait for UN
- 21|04|2011 - Metso to convert coal fired boiler to biomass fired boiler for EC Tychy S.A. in Poland
- 15|04|2011 - With Lubrizol, Buffett a chemical industry baron
- 12|04|2011 - Analysis: Market doubts Brazil can sacrifice sugar for ethanol
- 08|04|2011 - Brazil to focus state loans on ethanol, not sugar
- 30|03|2011 - Ethanol Industry Hoping for Surge
- 18|03|2011 - Modern Gas in Vintage Engines
- 05|03|2011 - Denmark, Ethanol, World Markets
- 11|02|2011 - Yet Another Route to Cellulosic Ethanol
- 06|02|2011 - KiOR Seeks $1B DOE Loan Guarantee
- 31|01|2011 - In global land rush, a search for fair returns
- 13|01|2011 - A Step Toward Car Fuel From Wood Waste
- 22|07|2010 - Filling the Global Energy Research Gap
- 14|07|2010 - A New Approach to Biofuel in Africa
- 28|06|2010 - Exploring Algae as Fuel
- 24|06|2010 - As Ethanol Booms, Critics Warn of Environmental Effect
- 12|05|2010 - Ten organisations form Brazilian Alliance for Aviation Biofuels.
- 14|10|2010 - A Bit More Ethanol in the Gas Tank
- 22|10|2010 - Effort to Shift Biofuel Industry Incentives Gains Foothold in Washington
- 10|04|2010 - Of Biofuels, Land Grabs and Food Prices
- 04|04|2010 - Gasoline Still Has Some Advantages as Fuel
- 08|10|2010 - Highly charged motoring
- 16|12|2010 - Good Energy Subsidies, and Bad
- 10|12|2010 - Chip fat recycling starts in Wiltshire
- 26|11|2010 - UK team begins epic Antarctic crossing
- 18|11|2010 - In crowded ethanol market, waste has the edge
- 29|10|2010 - The post-alcohol world
- 18|08|2010 - Whisky 'petrol' for cars developed by university
- 25|03|2010 - House bill extends ethanol tax breaks to 2016
- 19|03|2010 - Aiming for a no-carbon economy
- 11|03|2010 - No need to sacrifice food for fuel
- 04|03|2010 - Sao Paulo cane expansion no threat to other crops
- 27|02|2010 - EU biofuels significantly harming food production
- 22|02|2010 - Flex-fuel bikes and cars show robust Brazilian sales
- 18|02|2010 - ETH acquires Brenco and becomes new big ethanol player
- 05|02|2010 - Obama eyes biofuels, clean coal in new climate push
- 02|02|2010 - Shell, Cosan Plan Ethanol, Fuel Distribution Venture in Brazil
- 01|02|2010 - International partnerships consolidate CTBE's R&D
- 21|01|2010 - New Brazilian laboratory will develop research on ethanol
- 11|09|2007 - Brazil’s bioethanol boom breaks records
- 24|08|2009 - Brazil's Brenco in talks for stake sale
- 17|07|2009 - Beneficial Biofuels—The Food, Energy, and Environment
- 15|07|2009 - Brazilian ethanol attracts bioplastics investors
- 10|07|2009 - More Ethanol in Gasoline will damage cars, say automakers
- 08|07|2009 - Wyoming plant making ethanol from trees
- 15|06|2009 - Cellulose in Campinas
- 15|06|2009 - Sudan's First Ethanol Plant Was Made in Brazil
- 15|06|2009 - Brazil Energy Investments Increasingly Mix Oil, Biofuels
- 15|06|2009 - Biofuels and ‘Land Grabs’ in Poor Nations
- 13|06|2009 - Brazil mills prefer sugar despite biofuel boost
- 06|06|2009 - Brazil must save forests in ethanol push: Clinton